The Only Known Game
Given Rules (GRs)
- Equipment: The game equipment consists of a game-board,
playing pieces and coloured counters.
- Equipment rules: Only those playing pieces that have
been placed on the board are in play.
- Setting up the game: There are no GRs for setting up the
- Starting the game: The game starts when a player takes
the first turn. After this, the players take turns following the order of
play, which is initially cyclic and clockwise. This order of play is
always adhered to in the absence of any rules to the contrary.
- Taking a turn: In their turn, each player must make a
legal move, and then has the option of inventing a rule which is then
announced to the other players. The null move is legal until forbidden.
- Conditions on Invented Rules (IRs):
- GRs take precedence over IRs, any IR not forbidden by a GR is
- IRs come into effect immediately and apply throughout the rest of
- IRs must apply with equal validity to all players and all future
- No IR may refer to positions that occurred before its invention.
- No IR may conflict with the game position at the time of its
- No IR may conflict with any previously invented IR.
- No IR may refer to anything other than the game position and
- Any move or consequence of a move whose legality is not implied
by an IR or a GR is forbidden.
- No IR may result in a player losing an opportunity to invent a
rule during the game.
- Finishing the game:
- The Game may only be terminated when a result has been awarded.
- There are no GRs that award results.
- A player may not invent a rule which would award a result that is
independent of the game position.
- Illegalities: Illegalities do not stand.
- The Advanced Game: Provided that all players agree to do
so before setting up commences, GRs (1) and (2) may be redefined.
The Only Known Game - created by Mark Bassett and Steve
Knight (by whom I assume it to be copyright?). First published in TTBA (the
Cambridge University Science Fiction Society magazine) [when???]
Converted to HTML by firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: Thu Apr 26 16:28:00 GMT Daylight Time 2001